1600 rods

To: "Alpine list" <alpines@autox.team.net>
Subject: 1600 rods
From: "Greg Locke" <glocke@ihug.co.nz>
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2000 13:30:04 +1300
All this engine talk has reminded me that I haven't heard of anyone on this
list using 1600 rods in the 1725 engine to get the few more ccs from
stroking the engine. The 1600 rod is 5.75 inches long and has a 2 inch
bearing which gives the extra 70 or so ccs from offset grinding the crank
(same as the chevvy), but has the correct bearing width, meaning less
machining and less cost. The drawback is that the rod is bound to be 35
years old, but could still be tidied up enough to give reliable 7000 rpm
running. Bearings may also be hard to come by now. A suitable piston still
needs to be made or found, as the pin to piston top height is reduced by
3/16 of an inch. But the rootes theme is still continued... maybe 3/16 can
be shaved off the top of a standard piston and then ceramic coated. I'll
have to check the height of the top ring...

Anyway, I've heard of a few people using the 1600 rods with great success.
Anyone on the list heard of this?

Greg