Re: [6pack] Differential Questions

To: "Hunter, Darcy" <Darcy_Hunter@Instron.com>
Subject: Re: [6pack] Differential Questions
From: "Navarrette, Vance" <vance.navarrette@intel.com>
Date: Tue, 18 Mar 2008 08:39:10 -0700
        Darcy:

        There is a tool for this that makes it a 5 second job. It is
called an "oil seal puller" and costs $4-5. Get it and use it, you will
be glad you did. My pinion seal came out in one piece, in 5 seconds on
the first try. You can also use it to pull freeze plugs - but that is
ghetto engineering and I have NEVER tried it personally.
        As for the seals on the axle stubs, you need a hydraulic press
to pop the assembly apart to change the seal. I put mine back together
with anti-seize in an attempt to make it a task that can be done with a
gear puller at home next time. Ask me in 10 years if it worked =:-o

        Vance