Re: [6pack] Driveline vibration

To: rnorris1@swbell.net (Rick Norris)
Subject: Re: [6pack] Driveline vibration
From: tr6taylor@webtv.net (Sally or Dick Taylor)
Date: Sat, 8 Dec 2007 11:11:55 -0800
Rick---It's seems unlikely that the driveshaft went out of balance, but
since they agreed to fix it, it's on them. Sounds more like there's a
bearing in the drivetrain that's starting to protest.

It's good for exhaust pipe hangers to have some sort of rubber bushing
or strap in the connections to the frame or body sheet metal. No matter,
I can't imagine this would be the cause of the driveshaft to vibrate.

Dick

From:
rnorris1@swbell.net(Rick Norris)

I took my TR6 with a driveline vibration to a mechanic to get all that
sorted out. What he found was that one of the exhaust hangers,
presumably a front mid-pipe hanger, was improperly installed. He moved
it around and most of the vibration is now gone. I did not have the
opportunity to speak the fellow that actually did the work

...but, because there remains a bit of vibration at around 70mph which
we all agree is likely the drive shaft needing to be balanced, I left it
with them to do the really dirty work.

So, my question; how in the world can a exhaust hanger or clamp cause
the drive shaft to vibrate?