Re: [6pack] Differential Leak

To: Stuart Thompson <stuartt@tlthompson.com>
Subject: Re: [6pack] Differential Leak
From: Robert Lang <lang@isis.mit.edu>
Date: Thu, 30 Aug 2007 13:32:53 -0400 (EDT)
On Thu, 30 Aug 2007, Stuart Thompson wrote:

> Hello Fellow Listers:
>
> I just returned from vacation and decided to start up the Six after
> two weeks of sitting in the garage. I found a small puddle of oil
> which appears to be coming from the differential.  It was rebuilt
> in 2004 and I have never had it leak this much oil before now.
>
> Owning a TR6 and having oil puddles is normal but, can anyone
> tell me if this should be something of a major concern.

It's only a problem when you run out of oil.

jack the car up and take a look-see and try to figure out where the oil is
coming from. Then make sure the bolts near the source are snug.

I'd fill it up and put a drip pan under the diff to catch the fluid. Then
watch over time and try to gauge how much stuff is dripping. If the amount
is small (like a teaspoon per month), just keep an eye on it and re-fill
as necessary. If it leaks a lot, then you have no choice.

Chances are, if your rebuilder used the leather pinion seal, that the
leather has dried out and the oil is leaking past the seals.. this drying
out thing is one reason I try to drive my TR6 as much as possible.

:-)

> Stuart Thompson

regards,
rml
Consultant            MIT IS&T unix-linux-help |
Voice:617-253-7438    FAX: 617-258-9535        |  Cell: 339-927-4489