Re: [6pack] TRF Brake Discs

To: 75TR6@tr6.danielsonfamily.org (Bob Danielson)
Subject: Re: [6pack] TRF Brake Discs
From: tr6taylor@webtv.net (Sally or Dick Taylor)
Date: Sun, 26 Aug 2007 23:42:47 -0700
Bob---My bride (of 27 years) saw me looking at this page in a catalogue
about a year ago. "Uncle Jack's" kit, I believe. "'Zat what you want for
Christmas" she asked? or words to that effect. So I ended up with the
slotted and dimpled (not drilled) rotors, AND the heavy duty axles.

My original rotors were grooved badly from a mishap with the front
anti-roll bar. The worse one could have been machined to new-like, but
what the heck. The gold ones do look cool, even if no one but me has
seen them!

Any benefit from the "vented" rotors would probably only show up in some
sort of heavy, repeated braking. The panic stops used to test them
(after break-in) produced no quicker stops, or less pedal pressure than
my old ones.  I went from the old, semi-metalic MetalMasters (Repco) to
the new, semi- metalic Mintex pads. Very little dust from either.

The "gold" finish has worn off where the pads make contact, and now have
a smooth, shiny iron-silver finish. On the last check and shim
adjustment, there was no buildup of brake dust in the slots or dimples,
after about 3,000 miles.

There never was any noise.

I did find that by setting up the (thicker) heavy duty axles and the use
of the provided shims (to preload the wheel bearings) made a difference
with NO pedal drop after making sharp wheel turns. This had always
bugged me, even tho I kept my wheel bearings on the tight side.  This is
by far one of the nicest features of the whole package! Great for those
who auto-x their cars.

Dick

75TR6@tr6.danielsonfamily.org(Bob Danielson

TRF has their EBC HIGH-TECH BRAKE DISCS on sale this week
(http://tinyurl.com/36zb3d) and I'm wondering what ya'all's experience
is with them beyond the "looks cool" factor.
Do they make a difference in braking in normal driving or are they
mostly for the racer in us?

Also the description says "finished in gold cadmium plating to protect
them till you put them on your car".

 Does that mean the gold plating will wear off as you use them and what
do they look like after that?

Does anybody have another recommendation in the $190 range that TRF is
offering?
Thanks....starting to collect parts for the brake rebuild project in
Nov/Dec.
Bob Danielson
1975 TR6 CF38503U
Running w/ Throttle Body Injection