RE: [6pack] insurance recommendations

To: Jim Jones <jimjcmo@yahoo.com>
Subject: RE: [6pack] insurance recommendations
From: Robert Lang <lang@isis.mit.edu>
Date: Mon, 13 Aug 2007 11:06:48 -0400 (EDT)
On Mon, 13 Aug 2007, Jim Jones wrote:

> I ran into the "intended use" issue when I first talked to Hagerty. I
> told them I might occasionally drive my car to work in nice weather - a
> 10 mile round trip. They balked at that. Truthfully, I don't see the
> difference of doing that versus driving a 200 mile weekend trip. What a
> load of hogwash!

Hogwash? Really?

I don't know anything about your commute, so take this with a grain of
salt. But insurance companies use actuarial data. And if you look at the
numbers, accident claims MUST spike around commuting. It's simple -
there's more cars on the road hence higher likelihood of accidents. And
therefore claims. And that's what the insurers care about - claims.

>  I have not yet contacted JC Taylor, but I may save myself the
> aggrivation. Has anyone worked with Grundy? I suspect they probably
> won't be much different.

Why should they be different?

>  I admit to having a distrust of insurance companies in general, so my
> attitude may reflect that view.

You're not the only one in that regard. But if you look at what you are
agreeing to do by buying a specialty policy, then the insurers stand on
the matter is pretty obvious.

Disclaimer - I drive my car whenever to whatever. I have a standard
insurance policy year-'round. If a tree fell on the garage, I'm covered.
If a meteor hit the car while parked at the icecream place on a SAT night,
I'm covered. If some idiot runs a red light and t-bones me, I'm covered.
Period.

Taking your distrust to another angle, I'm somewhat suspiscious of anyone
that wants to insure anything and then not pay going rates. I'm not
against shopping around, I justquestion what that person is trying to do.

And I live in an area where insurance prices are pretty much insane and
there (currently) is no competition amongst insurers - the state insurance
"czar" sets the rates. So, even though I could get Parrish or Haggerty,
I'd only do that as a rider on my regular policy (if you could even do
that). I tried approaching the normal insurers about agreed-value policies
back in the 90's and the process was not worth the effort.

But that's just my opinion.

Good luck!

rml
Consultant            MIT IS&T unix-linux-help |
Voice:617-253-7438    FAX: 617-258-9535        |  Cell: 339-927-4489