Valve cover oil residue

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: Valve cover oil residue
From: samuelsma@aol.com
Date: Fri, 29 Dec 2006 12:42:29 -0500
Listers:

I have a lovely finned aluminum valve cover on my '76.  After a good drive,
however, I get some oil residue that has come from under the oil filler cap and
spreads along the crevices between the ridges toward the front and back of the
engine.  It isn't a lot of oil by any means, but it is time-consuming to clean
because I need to take the corner of a rag or paper towel and wipe it along the
crevices lengthwise, one at a time.  The hold-down bolts make this even harder.

There is a vent tube from the valve cover to the intake manifold, and I think
this is open.  I will check the vent tonight with a light and a piece of wire.
Assuming that it vents OK, is there anything else to check?  Do they all do
this?  Should I get a new oil filler cap?

Thanks.

Michael
'76 Tahiti Blue
CF 57044U