RE: Welding

To: mark bullard <mbullard@hawaii.rr.com>,
Subject: RE: Welding
From: "Foster, Stan" <stan.foster@hp.com>
Date: Tue, 21 Nov 2006 09:36:16 -0500
Mark, MIG welding has an easier learning curve than any alternative (gas,
stick, tig etc) and it is true you can quickly get to a point where you can
join metal together but to tackle something you care about is going to take
some practice so get some scrap metal that is similar to what you plan to weld
and practice on that. Welding vertical is a lot harder than welding something
that is horizontal so if you have any vertical welding to do that will take
even more practice. There are also a few books that will give you some of the
basics. The Haynes Welding Manual, ISBN 1 56392 110 3  is not bad.

Even better sign, up for a beginners welding class at your local adult Ed
establishment. I did a 12 week (one night a week) class a few years ago for
around $300 and found the exposure to arc, Mig and Tig welding and gas/Plasma
cutting was great experience.

Like everything else, there is a technique to welding that takes time to
develop and while Mig eases that process it is not just point and shoot,
especially on 30+ year old thin rusty metal.

Stan