RE: Rear Shock Conversion Frame Problems Part 2

To: <acekraut11@aol.com>, <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Rear Shock Conversion Frame Problems Part 2
From: "Navarrette, Vance" <vance.navarrette@intel.com>
Date: Fri, 22 Sep 2006 15:47:52 -0700
        Aaron:

        Call me slow Aaron, but I am missing something here. You stated
that the tube shock bracket was deflecting rearward as the suspension
compressed.
        How do you explain that? Is the shock not aligned with the
compressive forces (not coaxial with the load)? Isn't the shock
vertical?
        The lever shock has a linkage to the trailing arm that the tube
shock lacks. Is this somehow keeping the load coaxial with the lever?
Hmmm. Guess I need to go look at my suspension to visualize this.
        Previously I had heard that if you adjusted your bump stops so
that the tube shock did not bottom out then you were probably safe from
frame cracking. Now I am hearing that even if the shock does not bottom
out, the mounting bracket can deflect and place a twisting load on the
diff mount and crack it anyway.
        Is a tubular brace a fix, or would it merely shift the twisting
moment somewhere else that would crack?
        Hey! Maybe those TR6 engineers knew what they were doing when
they retained the "obsolete" lever shock technology. Now isn't that a
thought?
        Those photos are very scary. Your frame could literally fall
apart while you were driving if you did not respond to the strange
sounds coming from the car.

        Vance