Re: Rear Shock Conversion Frame Problems

To: rgperry@earthlink.net, Acekraut11@aol.com, 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Rear Shock Conversion Frame Problems
From: Pimento73@aol.com
Date: Fri, 22 Sep 2006 16:54:36 EDT
In a message dated 9/22/2006 2:45:19 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
rgperry@earthlink.net writes:

I may  start a lively discussion with my opinion about the frame members
cracking  after installing tube shock conversion brackets, so here is my
opinion.
 I believe that the problem of cracked frame members  is due to the
relocation of the fulcrum point from between the two mounting lever arm bolt
holes to
a point extended at the end of the shock mounting bracket.  This  distance
change between the old and new fulcrum points acts as lever  multiplying the
forces applied to the original lever arm shock point.   Thus increasing the
force
applied to the differential cross member beyond what  it was engineered for.
A basic analogy would be when one is applying a  cheater bar on to the end of
a breaker bar to provide more force to break a  bolt or nut loose.

Who was it that said given a lever long enough and a place to stand he  could
move the earth?
 I don't know how stating the obvious could start much of a "lively"
discussion - your observations are entirely correct. Apparently lots of  people
make
tube shock conversions of this type and lots of companies sell them  - IMHO
anytime one of these is installed on a frame without first modifying or  re
enforcing it, the question is not WILL it crack or break the frame, but WHEN.
Yet
people seem to keep buying them and putting them on and several times a year
we hear one of these stories.

Jack Mc