RE: Braking Problem

To: "Larry" <larry@brtconsulting.com>, <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Braking Problem
From: "Navarrette, Vance" <vance.navarrette@intel.com>
Date: Tue, 30 May 2006 07:24:41 -0700
        Larry:

        Sounds like it might be a sticky piston. If you are uncertain
about the history of the brakes, it may be time for a rebuild. The
pistons are
prone to rust, particularly with old (dark brown) DOT 4 fluid, which
holds
moisture and should be replaced every couple of years.
        When I rebuilt mine, the pistons were so chewed up by rust that
I was
amazed the brakes worked at all.
        If you are reluctant to do a rebuild, start by purging out your
old
fluid and bleeding the brakes. Your DOT 4 fluid should be clear and free
from dirt when you are finished. If that doesn't do it, rebuild time.
The
good news is that it is in all probability *not* your master cylinder.

        Vance

        P.S. Some other possibilities are clogged brake lines or hoses,
crimped brake line, or any other damage which slows or limits the fluid
flowing to the right front caliper.