RE: Overdrive trouble

To: "6pack" <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Overdrive trouble
From: "Rick" <patton@suscom-maine.net>
Date: Fri, 26 May 2006 21:17:12 -0400
Hello again,

Today I cleaned the second filter inside the overdrive and fitted a pressure
gauge. I think the gauge has the answer.

As soon as I shift into second gear the overdrive engages no matter the
position of the switch. With the switch off pressure is 300 psi and engaged
it is about 650 but not all the time. At times on my ride down the highway
pressures topped out at 900 psi! The gauge goes to 1000psi.

So am I correct to believe the pressure relief valve is stuck or plugged?
Three hundred psi is probably enough to engage it and keep it engaged. What
should the disengaged pressure reading be? At times the pressure jumped
around a bit at lower speeds it would sometimes flick down to 200 with the
switch off. Do you really need the special tool or is there a work around to
pull the relief valve?

Thanks so much for all the suggestions and advice, I certainly appreciate
it. Folks must think I'm trying to end it all with a hose coming from under
the car and into the driver side window. . .

Rick