Re: J type overdrive

To: <DaCRANEz@aol.com>, <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: J type overdrive
From: "Lumia, John" <jlumia@ball.com>
Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2006 09:00:41 -0600
Mike, I'm not sure what you mean by "straight-forward", but in any case,
I believe you will need to remove the OD unit from the gearbox as the
rear housing doesn't just come off.  Once you remove the OD, you should
be able to drill and tap the housing without having to further
disassemble the OD.  Depending on what you have been told about this
unit (or if the OD unit is covered with oil) you may wish to take the
opportunity to replace the rear seal, clean the filters, replace o-rings
on the pistons, and replace the speedometer and solenoid o-rings, all
common leak points.  All these items do not require major disassembly of
the OD unit.

Good luck

John - 76 TR6

Louisville, CO

Mike wrote:>
I bought a tranny with a J type o/d off eBay. I discovered that it is a
Volvo conversion. It does not have the bolt holes for the mount in the
back of the rear housing. It looks like a straight-forward process to
remove the rear housing so that I can drill and tap the necessary holes.
Any tips or warnings would be appreciated before I screw something up.
As if that's ever happened. Got all the parts- just want to git er done.