Re: Overdrive switch

To: "Rick" <patton@suscom-maine.net>, "6pack" <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Overdrive switch
From: "Terry Geiger" <tgeiger@shoalsbritishcars.org>
Date: Fri, 18 Nov 2005 21:57:40 -0600
Rick,

I owned a Volvo 240 (uses the J type overdrive) that worked exactly in this
manner.  There was a "5th" gear button in the gear shifter that was a
momentary contact switch.  When the transmission was in 4th gear and the
"5th" button was pressed, the J type overdrive would kick in.  Another press
of the 5th gear button and the overdrive would disengage.  Also, if the over
drive was engaged and you down shifted out of 4th, the overdrive relay
dropped out and would not engage again until the car was in 4th and the
switch was again pressed, so you never shifted into 4th with the overdrive
engaged.

Terry Geiger
Florence, Alabama USA
http://www.shoalsbritishcars.org
'74 Triumph TR6 (my sunny day car)
'63 Triumph Herald (wife's sunny day car)
'84 Mercedes 300D Turbo Diesel (wife's car)
'90 Chevy S10 (parts fetcher)