Clutch Woes

To: "6pack" <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: Clutch Woes
From: "Andy McGregor" <andyleases@sympatico.ca>
Date: Wed, 16 Nov 2005 19:54:32 -0500
Hi, I have a 75 TR6 that I purchased this Fall. It's in good shape, except for
the interior, which I was looking forward to redoing this Winter. That was
until I took the car out yesterday for a final drive before the snow flies,
and heard some bad noises from the Bell Housing area, which changed my
priorities. As I was taking off up the street, just letting the clutch out, a
noise started that sounded like bearings or metal pieces in a clothes dryer,
i.e. as if they were revolving in the Bell Housing. When I pushed in the
clutch, the sound reduced substantially, and when I took the tranny out of
gear, the sound stopped completely, even if the car was moving. The same sound
occurred in reverse gear as well. Shifting seemed to be normal and the clutch
feel seemed normal as well.
I'm not sure if there is a connection or not, but I replaced the starter motor
the day before with a new high torque motor, which works beautifully and
quietly. Could there be a tooth broken off it or the flywheel. Seems unlikely
but who knows.
Any suggestions before I remove the tranny, would be appreciated.
Thanks,

Andy McGregor