Clutch Woes

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: Clutch Woes
From: "Cary Henry" <caryhenry@hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 08 Nov 2005 18:37:37 -0500
I am rebuilding a 76 that was flooded in hurricane katrina.  I just got the
starter in this afternoon and with a little finesse got the engine to fire.
I let it idle for about 15-20 minutes, and the idle smoothed out very
nicely.  I tried to get the car into 2nd gear and when I depressed the
clutch it squealed like a stuck pig (really nasty metal on metal grinding).
The car wouldn't go into gear, so I turned it off and managed to get the
shifter into 2nd.  I pushed the clutch in and put my right foot firmly on
the brake.  The starter wouldn't turn over, so I let go of the brake.  The
car surged forward, and I again depressed the brake but I couldn't get the
clutch to disengage.  Any thoughts on what I can do to free up the clutch
for the time being?