Re: Clutch Woes

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Clutch Woes
From: tr6taylor@webtv.net (Sally or Dick Taylor)
Date: Tue, 8 Nov 2005 18:41:04 -0800
Cary---I don't have any quick solution for breaking the clutch loose
from the flywheel. You might have to take out the tranny and clutch to
get it apart (and get the rust off)  Others have reported success in
rocking the car back and forth, in gear, as well as bump starting the
engine and driving on and off the gas.

The pressure plate fingers are very likely rusty as well, and protesting
when the throwout bearing contacts it. This noise will go probably go
away, thru repeated contact.

Dick

From: caryhenry@hotmail.com(Cary Henry)

 I am rebuilding a 76 that was flooded in hurricane katrina. I just got
the starter in this afternoon and with a little finesse got the engine
to fire. I let it idle for about 15-20 minutes, and the idle smoothed
out very nicely. I tried to get the car into 2nd gear and when I
depressed the clutch it squealed like a stuck pig (really nasty metal on
metal grinding). The car wouldn't go into gear, so I turned it off and
managed to get the shifter into 2nd. I pushed the clutch in and put my
right foot firmly on the brake. The starter wouldn't turn over, so I let
go of the brake. The car surged forward, and I again depressed the brake
but I couldn't get the clutch to disengage. Any thoughts on what I can
do to free up the clutch for the time being?