disc brake squeal

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: disc brake squeal
From: SamuelsMA@aol.com
Date: Sat, 15 Oct 2005 18:46:18 EDT
List members:

The front brakes on my '76 have made a loud squealing noise since I
purchased the car several weeks ago.  I just removed the pads and the
anti-squeal
shims on the right front.  The soft foil backing on the shims  had shredded.
The
pads themselves looked pretty new.  I spoke with my  mechanic, and he
suggested leaving out the shims and just using anti-squeal  spray on the backs
of the
pads.

What is the best solution--new shims without spray, new shims with spray,  or
forget the shims and use the spray alone?

Thanks as always.

Michael
'76 Tahiti blue
CF 57044U