Re: Differential Pinion Oil Seal removal

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Differential Pinion Oil Seal removal
From: "Jim S." <aztvr@yahoo.com>
Date: Sat, 15 Oct 2005 14:34:37 -0700 (PDT)
Thanks to all who responded .  I tried various methods
before i just cut on it and mangled it with vice grips
jerking the metal back and forth plus using a hammer
and a long screwdriver as a chisel to break it loose
and get it out of there.

It turns out that although the hole in the front
bracket is indeed larger than the seal, I couldn't see
that the DPO had put largish washers under the 4
bracket mounting screws and they stuck out just far
enough for the seal to catch on.  I couldn't see that
situation because of the combination of things being
painted black, a bit of oily dirt, inadequate
lighting under the car, and the refusal to give in to
bifocals. (I can see just fine if I move my glasses
down my nose, dammit; however, gravity works against
that technique when one is laying on one's back under
a car.)

> Jim S. wrote:
 Can the Differential Pinion Oil Seal be removed and
 replaced without
removing the front mounting bracket?
     I've removed the castellated nut and tried to
 pull the seal
 out. I moved it forward a bit and bent it up
 significantly, but I'm
 starting to think the hole in the mounting bracket
 is smaller than the
 seal diameter and holding it in place? Or, do I just
 need to persuade it
 a bit more? Thanks,
 Jim Schlemm

Yahoo! Music Unlimited