Re: Differential Pinion Oil Seal removal

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Differential Pinion Oil Seal removal
From: "Jim S." <aztvr@yahoo.com>
Date: Sat, 15 Oct 2005 14:47:37 -0700 (PDT)
Thanks to all who responded .  I tried various
methods before I just cut on it and mangled it with
vice grips jerking the metal back and forth plus using
a hammer and a long screwdriver as a chisel to break
it loose and get it out of there.

It turns out that although the hole in the front
bracket is indeed larger than the seal, I couldn't
see that the DPO had put largish washers under the 4
bracket mounting screws and they stuck out just far
enough for the seal to catch on.  I couldn't see
that situation because of the combination of things
being painted black, a bit of oily dirt, inadequate
lighting under the car, and the refusal to give in
to bifocals. (I can see just fine if I move my glasses
down my nose, dammit; however, gravity works against
that technique when one is laying on one's back
under a car.)

Jim Schlemm

**** Jim S. wrote:
Can the differential pinion oil seal be replaced
without
removing the front mounting bracket?
.....I'm
starting to think the hole in the mounting bracket
is smaller than the
seal diameter and holding it in place? Or, do I
just need to persuade it
a bit more? Thanks,
Jim Schlemm