Re: Cam fixed?

To: <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Cam fixed?
From: "Jerry C Shaw" <slowtoaccept@yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 27 May 2005 20:26:06 -0400
Mike
I got into this thread late, and don't know what cam you have chosen.

Mine is kind of a long story, and is prompted by my refusal to proceed to
the next step of my engine rebuild until I fully understand the issues of
the previous step.

I purchased a Piper BP270 cam from BP Northwest. Unfortunately, the spec
sheet that came with the camshaft is a bit terse. This is the result of the
Brit propensity for treating their cam grind specs as "trade secret", so
they refuse to disclose details of their cam grind specs. The clue was the
spec for "LTDC" - lift at TDC, which was .039 I-valve, and .045 E-valve,
which I've assumed is valve lift at the end of the exhaust-stroke.

To make a long story short, Piper's cams are asymmetric, meaning the center
of the exhaust and intake lobes are not equidistant before and after TDC,
respectively: thus the Bentley instructions on valves 11 and 12 "on the
rocks" are null and void.

This may not apply to your cam. Most cams are symmetric with 110 degrees for
both E and I valves, and for that case the Bentley 11 and 12 valve procedure
applies.

If there is any question, buy a crank degree wheel and follow instructions
for verification of cam-to-crank timing.

Jerry Shaw