RE: FW: Report on Lead Substitutes..

To: "Richard Seaton" <rsh17@msn.com>, <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: FW: Report on Lead Substitutes..
From: "Navarrette, Vance" <vance.navarrette@intel.com>
Date: Fri, 20 May 2005 08:29:11 -0700
        Richard:

        Been there, done that... Try it with an overdrive so that the
tranny weighs 100 lbs
and holding a desk job driving a keyboard. The results are NO upper body
strength. Then
spend two hours hunched over under the dash while muttering anatomically
unlikely combinations
of the person who suggested you needed a hobby and Lucas, prince of
darkness. The results
are a sore back a colorful vocabulary.
        OK, here is what worked for me the last 2 times I did this. Get
two long 5/16"
bolts, preferably threaded their entire length. Mine are 4" long. You
may need to
experiment a bit.
        Get the tranny as closely aligned as you can, and insert the
long bolts in
on opposite sides of the bell housing and through the rear engine plate,
FINGER TIGHTEN
the bolts. DO NOT wrench tighten the bolts in an attempt to pull the
tranny up to the
motor. You risk breaking the bell housing if you do. Put the tranny in
4th gear so that
you can rotate the input shaft by turning the output flange. This will
permit you
to align the splines on the input shaft with the clutch.
        Now wiggle the tranny as close as you can to the motor. Finger
tighten the bolts.
Wiggle the output flange, wiggle the tranny some more, tighten, wiggle,
tighten, wiggle,
etc. Clunk! It's home!!!!
        I found I needed to support the tranny on a jack while I did
this. So the rear of
the motor is supported on a jack stand, and the tranny is resting on my
floor jack.
It's a bit of a balancing act, but it allowed me to get the tranny
mounted in a few minutes,
as opposed to the 2 hour grunt fest the first time I tried it.
        As always, your mileage may vary. If you have a buddy, offer him
a beer and get him to
help. "Many hands make for light work"

        Cheers,

        Vance