Re: Low oil pressure

To: acekraut11@aol.com
Subject: Re: Low oil pressure
From: "Robert M. Lang" <lang@isis.mit.edu>
Date: Wed, 4 May 2005 08:19:51 -0400 (EDT)
Hi,

I've had the pressure relief valve fail on a race motor. I was lucky and
"heard it" and I saw the oil pressure dropped to low numbers - 20 psi at
4000 RPMs. I only wrecked one rod bearing.

There seem to be two modes of failure:

1. the stalk of the oil pressure relief valve gets little ridges in it
from the spring vibrating - these ridges then catch the spring when the
valve is open - presto! Stuck pressure relief valve. Result - low or no
oil pressure (at the gauge).

2. the spring breaks and there's nothing retricting the oil flow except
the size of the oil galleries. The result is the same, very low oil
pressure.

These motors are designed for pretty specific oil pressures. Going outside
that range will result in probs like cond rod bearing failure, etc.

The heavy duty springs are not really necessary, but some folks use them
because they seem to be more consistant in the spring rate than some of
the "off shore" stock replacement springs. BUT - if you have low oil
pressure and you try to remedy the situation with just a heavy duty spring
- you are practicing false economy. You really should identify the problem
first.

regards,
rml
Voice:617-253-7438    FAX: 617-258-9535        |  Cell: xxx-xxx-xxxx