Low Oil Pressure

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: Low Oil Pressure
From: Glenn Franco <gaf3@charter.net>
Date: Mon, 02 May 2005 20:37:34 -0400
Brian Yarborough wrote
>Hi all;

>I've been following the low oil pressure subject avidly. My '76 has about
>12# @ hot idle, 50 # @ speed.
>So, I should check oil pressure sender, set screw on rockers, then check the
>oil pump specs?

>Brian Yarborough
>1976 TR-6
>CF55886UO

Sorry to bomb the list by it's difficult to listen to the speculation about the
Pressure relief valve located above the oil pump. It's a pressure relief valve
with a spring calibrated to dump oil back into the sump when that pressure is
exceeded. Generally, not always, the spin on oil filters have a drain back and
bypass valve built into the filter assy. It's been a long time since I used the
old canister style, so I don't remember on those.

Hot oil pressure at 12psi is not bad in an old triumph engine. Hot oil pressure
of 50 psi going down the road in a stock engine with miles on it would also be
acceptable. If you really want to know what your oil pressure is, plumb a
calibrated pressure gauge into the oil feed line ( to the oil pressure gauge ).

Regards
Glenn Franco
71 TR6
74 TR6