tach cable routing

To: 6pack <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: tach cable routing
From: jeff m <jmackd1@yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 2 May 2005 15:26:58 -0700 (PDT)
I have had a weird problem that has been bothering me
for awhile. My tach cable kept breaking on me and it
always broke coming right out of the distributor. It
had a sharp bend and i kept replacing it following the
original path which goes through the firewall behind
the gas pedal. I almost bought the left handed
(steering)version tach cable which is 50 some inches
instead of the 31 inch for right handed TR's. I routed
the new cable (3rd one) up next to where speedometer
cable goes through the firewall now i have plenty of
slack in tach cable and works fine. My question is
what is the hole in the firewall behind the gas pedal
used for?

Thanks,
Jeff
'75 Tr6