Re: Engine Minutia

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Engine Minutia
From: tr6taylor@webtv.net (Sally or Dick Taylor)
Date: Thu, 28 Apr 2005 00:06:21 -0700
John----Don't know for sure why Triumph used this combination of bolts,
studs and screws  secure the timing chain cover.  Maybe "they" didn't
want us stripping out the threads on the front plate, so used slot head
screws n some places??
Illustrations as to where they go can be seen in some of the parts
manuals.

The distributor drive gear can be turned 180 by first removing the
pedestal housing (two) bolts. Lift up and turn it. The recommended
position @ TDC, with #1 firing is "18 minutes to two" when viewing the
drive slots. Illustration for this also shown in the Bentley manual.
Note that this position is very close to when it's 180 out.
You will have to then turn the machined "bar" on the top of the oil pump
drive, to permit the drive gear to drop all the way down. Tricky, but
not difficult.

Yes, you could move all of the plug wires and leave the drive gear where
it's at. Kind of hokey, but I've seen lots of Triumphs with their plug
wires all over the place!

Dick

John also wrote:
      I just received my engine back from the builder today
and I have 2 small issues. He used regular bolts all the way round the
timing cover and was wondering where the slotted screws, the cap screws
and the studs should be used.
      Second, the distributor drive gear is in 180 degress
off, but I cant seem to get it out to turn it. Is this because of the
new cam being tight and should I just run with the wires moved halfway
around the cap for a while.
                            Thanks
for all your help.   John Mitchell
P.S. I have an email into Richard Good to get an update on the oil
feedline issue. I'll let you know.