Re: WAG

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: WAG
From: tr6taylor@webtv.net (Sally or Dick Taylor)
Date: Thu, 21 Apr 2005 23:38:23 -0700
Ashford---If your starter motor can still spin the engine without
protest, I'd place the ring gear further down on the list of suspects.

Sometimes a damper pulley that's coming undone will show up its wiggle
by training a timng light on it. Connect the 'light to different plug
wires to get several phases of rotation.

You didn't say if this vibration is there with the rest of the drive
line out of the picture. (Clutch disengaged)  If you feel it with the
car parked, and running the engine above idle,  my WAG is the (loose)
fan extension bolt.  You can shake it with your hand.
Otherwise, a U-joint. Possibly one on the propshaft?

Dick

Ashford wrote:
Your chance at a WAG
That's WAG, as in wild arse guess. My TR6 has developed a vibration
very, very recently, not sure I knew where it was coming from until just
now. I believe it to be either the harmonic damper, which I believe the
rubber is aged, or the ring gear is slipping off the again. Yes, again,
but let's not get into that right now, as I'm just happy to have made it
home with something spontaneously combusting. I will take the starter
off this weekend and see if that is an issue, but would any of you care
to speculate which is the more likely culprit? Or both?
R. Ashford Little II
'70 TR6 <http://www.ralittle2.com/>
CC54994