Re: Adjustable Needles, +

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Adjustable Needles, +
From: tr6taylor@webtv.net (Sally or Dick Taylor)
Date: Thu, 21 Apr 2005 22:53:27 -0700
 James---Yes, there are at least three good books regarding the SU
Carburetor.
The S.U. Carburetter Manual, by Interauto Book Co. Ltd. (the one you
referred to?)

The Haynes Workshop Repair Manual, for the SU carburettor, and

How to Build and Power Tune SU Carburettors, by Des Hammill, from
Speedpro Series.
(Note the different spellings?)

The first two books show all of the needle sizes available, according to
jet size. (Some info shows the engine that uses them)

Hammill's book shows how to make or modify your own, if you can't use
what's "on the shelf" as is. I've followed his lead with moderate
success. (This is where the 02 sensor is worth the price of admission.)

Dick

JAR7U@hscmail.mcc.virginia.edu(Ruffner, James A *HS) Date: Thu,
Apr 21, 2005, 5:16pm (PDT+3) To: tr6taylor@webtv.net (Sally or Dick
Taylor), 6pack@autox.team.net Subject: RE: Adjustable needles:
"Orthopedic Shoes"
I have a handbook on the SU needles, their profiles, and applications.
These are catalogued according to carburetor throat diameter, and
car/engine application. Interestingly, there are reams of these things,
each carefully tuned, via the needle's profile, for specific
performance. I have this somewhere in some of my old information on
racing British sports cars from the 50's and 60's.
Cheers.