RE: Stiff shifting after transmission rebuild

To: "Terry Geiger" <tgeiger@ShoalsBritishCars.org>, <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Stiff shifting after transmission rebuild
From: "Navarrette, Vance" <vance.navarrette@intel.com>
Date: Wed, 13 Apr 2005 12:26:18 -0700
 Terry:

        Rebuilt my transmission and added a J-Type OD as well. Very
sweet. How did you re-calibrate your speedo?

        As far as the hard shifting goes, I can suggest something to
try. There is a series of ball bearings and pins in the gearbox top
cover that are intended to prevent more than one gear from ever being
engaged. These parts are accessible through the hole that the backup
light switch mounts in. Try squirting some 90 weight oil in there to get
everything lubricated. If you have the seat belt interlock switch,
remove it and squirt some 90 wt in there as well. Be careful that a ball
bearing doesn't fall out and get lost.
        This parts should slide past each other easily, and when
rebuilding it is easy to forget to grease them, so they have a tendency
to hang up while shifting. Getting some grease in there would be even
better, but I couldn't think of a way to get a grease fitting in
there....

        Cheers,

        Vance
Cogito Ergo Zoom