Stiff shifting after transmission rebuild

To: <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: Stiff shifting after transmission rebuild
From: "Terry Geiger" <tgeiger@ShoalsBritishCars.org>
Date: Wed, 13 Apr 2005 09:59:48 -0500
I've rebuilt my transmission and I'm having a little trouble.  The
transmission shifts good except for second gear.  Sometimes it goes right
into second, sometimes it's quite stiff to get it into second.  I was
careful and checked the clearances closely upon reassembly, especially the
"end float" that is set by the shim washer.

I've heard one other person complain about a professionally rebuilt
transmission that he installed in his car that did loosen up after he drove
the car a couple of hundred miles.  Have others had the same experience?  I
assume what is happening is the synchronizer rings must "break in" before
they work together smoothly.

I also added Volvo J type overdrive (27% overdrive ratio) to the
transmission while I had it apart.  What a difference!  I'm going to like
this overdrive thing.

Terry Geiger
Florence, Alabama USA
http://www.shoalsbritishcars.org/
'74 Triumph TR6 (for sunny days)
'59 Triumph TR3A (basket case)
'90 Chevy S10 (parts fetcher)
'84 Mercedes Benz 300D Turbo Diesel (for the wife to drive)