Re: Advance Distributor

To: "Robert M. Lang" <lang@isis.mit.edu>,
Subject: Re: Advance Distributor
From: "Kai M. Radicke" <kradicke@wishboneclassics.com>
Date: Wed, 13 Apr 2005 14:05:32 -0400
> > The Mallory requires you to either run without a tach or get
> > it converted, correct?
>
> That is correct. Mallory does not have a tach drive. So you
> need to either:
>
> A. get a cheap tach and clamp
>
> B. call the gauge guys (aka APT Instruments in MN
> somewhere) and get your Smiths gauge converted.

Or C, find a late 1960s Jaguar E-Type tach (from the 3.8 and 4.2L sixes) and
use that.  The Jag tach was electric and it looks exactly like the TR6 tachs
except for one extra warning light at the bottom of the gauge face.

The tachs come up every few months on eBay and usually sell for $100-$150.
So far, I have never had a bad one... just have had to replace broken or
clouded glass and chrome trims.

But Bob is correct, and I will add to what he said.  The Mallory distributor
has two big advantages over the Lucas units.  It has a very well supported
shaft, so there is very little wobble and the distributor cap itself is
light years better than any cap available for the Lucas units.  There are
people that go out of their way to put proper ball bearings into Lucas
distributors to help stabilize the shaft, but even if you do that, you're
stuck with that cap design.

XJ6 tachs may work also, never tried it because I know they do not look
correct.

Kai

--
Kai M. Radicke