Re: Advance Distributor

To: John & Allison Cyganowski <janah@att.net>
Subject: Re: Advance Distributor
From: "Robert M. Lang" <lang@isis.mit.edu>
Date: Wed, 13 Apr 2005 10:02:42 -0400 (EDT)
On Tue, 12 Apr 2005, John & Allison Cyganowski wrote:

> You wrote:
>
> >If you find one with vacuum advance _AND_ a tach drive, please let us
> >know. Many of us have been looking for one of these for a LONG TIME.
>
> My distributor seems to have both advance and retard along with a tach
> drive. It also occasionally sounds like it has a cricket caught uner the
> cap.  Sewing machine oil on the shaft?

Lucas distributor == POS

The "book" says that you have to oil the mechanical advance mechanism
(that's the drop of oil under the rotor) once every few hundred miles. But
the shaft of the distrubutor gets very little lube and the bushing wears
out.

To back up my POS statement, I have NEVER put a timing light on a Lucas
22d distributor and seen a rock solid light pattern. There's all kinds of
"scatter" at all RPMs and then there's the random misfires and so forth.

The stock distributor is JUNK.

Even if you rebuild them, they start acting up after 10k miles or so. Then
you're out the $nnn that got you a rebuilt and you have to do it again.
Next you wind up breaking the tach drive. Ooops - unobatanium. Oh, and you
have to carry a spare rotor around because the currently available rotors
seems to fail with no warning. Maybe two spare rotors is a good plan.
Sheesh.

As I've related numerous times on this list, I tossed my Lucas
distributors years ago and haven't looked back since.

> John Cyg.
> CC52927LO

regards,
rml
Voice:617-253-7438    FAX: 617-258-9535        |  Cell: xxx-xxx-xxxx