Re: Toe-in question

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Toe-in question
From: tr6taylor@webtv.net (Sally or Dick Taylor)
Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2005 22:41:45 -0800
Joe---It sounds that if you had longer bolts you could then use the same
amount of shims that you originally had.  Maybe Good's adjustables are a
little thicker than the ones you took off?

Every TR6 I've seen had three to five shims at each of the four
stations. Triumph wanted  the wheel base at 88 inches, as measured from
the center of the front hubs to the center of the rear hubs.  You can
check this with a tape measure and an accomplice!
If you go in for an alignment, take a bag of these shims, and tell the
shop about the 88 inch measurement.

On your other post about the brake backing plate not fitting flush,
check the new studs AND be sure the bottom one isn't catching on the
lower brake shoe return spring.

Dick

Lizirbydavis@cs.com Date: Wed, Mar 30, 2005, 6:20pm (PST+3) To:
6pack@autox.team.net Subject: toe in question
I reassembled my rear suspension today using Richard Goods adjustable
brackets (nice). I've run into a problem. When I disassembled the
suspension, I found that there were four shims at every bracket except
the outer left hand bracket had 3.   Doesn't this seem like a lot? The
car previously drove very well with no abnormal tire wear. When I
reassembled the suspension using the same number of shims, I found that
using Richard's instructions (He calls for a washer on the head of each
trailing arm bracket bolt. My car did not have washers here), the bolts
were too short. In fact the end of the bolt only went about 1/2 way into
the nut...not even close to the nyloc. What I did was remove 2 shims
from every mounting point so I had enough threads through the nyloc
(still just barely). What problems am I going to experience? These shims
just affect toe in right? If I removed the same amount at all 4 points,
will I be OK? I'll take the car for an allignment, but if they have to
add shims, I'll be in trouble. Any words of encouragement?

Joe Davis