RE: Window crank removal

To: "'Russ & Sandy'" <bungs4@wpia.net>, <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Window crank removal
From: "Gary R." <techpartners@charter.net>
Date: Mon, 28 Mar 2005 20:26:17 -0500
I'll tell you how I did mine.

Find a pants hanger with a straight rod in it, about 1/16" in diameter and
get the rod off it. With a wedge of some sort spacing the door panel from
the crank (I used a piece of wood) use a section of the rod and a tack
hammer to tap the old pin out, forget about saving it as you don't need it.
Once out and your ready to re-install, measure the pin size by putting the
rod into the crank to see what length you need and "score" the rod about 1/2
way through using a Dremel, file, or whatever. Put the handle on, shove the
rod in to the scored point and snap it off (the rod will still be about
8-10" long at this point). Repeat on next door. Done.

If this is confusing please let me know and I'll try and clarify. It takes
about 5 minutes to do both handles this way, I spent a loooong time trying
to get the original pins in before "inventing" this...

Good luck!
Gary