RE: Exhaust scavaging and 6-3-1 vs. 6-1-2 etc.for the TR6

To: "Jerry C Shaw" <slowtoaccept@yahoo.com>, <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Exhaust scavaging and 6-3-1 vs. 6-1-2 etc.for the TR6
From: "Shawn J. Loseke" <sloseke@holly.colostate.edu>
Date: Mon, 21 Mar 2005 18:14:38 -0700
I remember reading somewhere that the 6-3-1 into a large (2.25"-2.5") pipe
would yield an extra 8 horsepower. The rub was that extra horsepower only
showed up at high rpm, as in above 5,000rpm or thereabouts.
 I have spoken to Richard Good (emailed really) about the effects he has seen
with different setups. Mostly about where the two seperate sets of three are
brought into one pipe. He stated that his flattest curve came when the pipes
were merged just aft of the transmission. When the pipes were merged directly
at the collectors (by the flywheel) he experinced a short drop off in power at
about 4500rpm. This was on one of his 10.5:1 engines with the 1.65:1 rockers
and the GP3 cam.

>===== Original Message From "Jerry C Shaw" <slowtoaccept@yahoo.com> =====
>Does anyone understand the concept using waves/pulses or whatever, as
>applied to  exhaust scavaging and how it would argue for a particular TR6
>header designs? I know Kastner argues for a single large pipe out the back,
>but no explanation, other than, I assume, dyno results. E.g., why not just
>6-1 to a single collector vs. 6-3-1 etc?
>
>I remember my '61 356C Porsche (how I wish I still owned her!) and VW's had
>aftermarket exhaust systems that added tremendously to the power of the
>little air-cooled 4-bangers. I think the 356 Super had a whopping stock 88
>h.p.
>
>I'm sure this topic has received lots of past attention.
>Jerry

Shawn J. Loseke
Fort Collins, CO
http://www.triumphowners.com/79