Exhaust scavaging and 6-3-1 vs. 6-1-2 etc.for the TR6

To: <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: Exhaust scavaging and 6-3-1 vs. 6-1-2 etc.for the TR6
From: "Jerry C Shaw" <slowtoaccept@yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 21 Mar 2005 16:59:21 -0500
Does anyone understand the concept using waves/pulses or whatever, as
applied to  exhaust scavaging and how it would argue for a particular TR6
header designs? I know Kastner argues for a single large pipe out the back,
but no explanation, other than, I assume, dyno results. E.g., why not just
6-1 to a single collector vs. 6-3-1 etc?

I remember my '61 356C Porsche (how I wish I still owned her!) and VW's had
aftermarket exhaust systems that added tremendously to the power of the
little air-cooled 4-bangers. I think the 356 Super had a whopping stock 88
h.p.

I'm sure this topic has received lots of past attention.
Jerry