Re: Ignition

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Ignition
From: tr6taylor@webtv.net (Sally or Dick Taylor)
Date: Fri, 4 Mar 2005 23:35:36 -0800
Dwayne----It is said that a coil wound "hotter" than the stock one
provided by the factory, will throw a larger spark at the plugs. To take
advantage of this, one would then have to widen the plug gap beyond the
.025.  Wider gaps should also allow carb adjustments for leaner air/fuel
mixtures, if you are after maximum economy. (Note the plug gap specs on
newer cars, with their HEI systems) Of course it takes more than a hot
coil to get anywhere near the lightning bolts that the modern engine
sees.
If you change to a wider plug gap, You'll want to check the ignition
timing, before and after. Stock setting for timing always seem best.

There maybe some other slight advantages for stock engines equipped with
nothing more than a hotter coil. Probably quicker starts in cold
weather, and also at higher elevations, where combustion is more
difficult. I have never done a back-to-back comparison with only a
change of coil, so this is only speculation. I wouldn't expect anything
earthshaking!

Dick

Sender: owner-6pack@autox.team.net From:
dc_bruin@hotmail.com(Dwayne Cooper) Date: Fri, Mar 4, 2005, 6:34pm To:
tr6taylor@webtv.net, 6pack@autox.team.net Subject: Re: Ignition
Dick's answer begs a question I've been meaning to ask for a long
time...
On a basically stock engine are there advantages to using a an upgraded
coil? If you upgrade the coil what other things need to change (plugs,
gaps, points, timing?) or is it just upgrade and go... If there's no
advantage for a stock engine, when do you start to see an advantage?
Thanks,
Dwayne