Re: Broken speedo cable

To: "Navarrette, Vance" <vance.navarrette@intel.com>
Subject: Re: Broken speedo cable
From: Gene Garrison <gene@garrison-grafixx.com>
Date: Mon, 25 Oct 2004 18:57:07 -0700
Vance,

I had the same experience with my first cable replacement, shortly after I
bought the car in '85.  So I put in another cable, but this time tried to
make sure I made all the bend radii as large as possible.  Also looked to
keep it from bouncing around any more than necessary.  Added a bracket to the
flat shelf over the foot well and tied the cable to it to improve bend radius
and stability.  It's been fine ever since.  About 18 years.

- GeneG

On Monday 25 October 2004 8:03 am, Navarrette, Vance wrote:
>  Folks:
>
>  I have begun the teardown for the upcoming paint job. It will be
> frame off, so I am stripping everything off the car for the paint.
>  In the course of the teardown, I found the cause of my dead
> speedometer; the speedo cable was broken internally. It was brand new,
> and had less than 50 miles on it at the time it broke. I had routed it
> very carefully from the OD angle drive to the dash. It broke about 3
> inches from the back of the speedo itself.
>  My question: What did I do wrong? Should I have lubed the cable
> (I installed it right out of the packing)? Could I have damaged it
> during the installation? Tips to avoid a repeat?
>
>  Thanks,
>
>  Vance

> Cogito Ergo Zoom
> (I think, therefore I go fast)