RE: leaking valve cover

To: "'Ian Breyer'" <IBreyer@fw1.Hartynet.com>, <6pack@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: RE: leaking valve cover
From: "Hugh Barber" <tr6nut@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Fri, 22 Oct 2004 09:36:05 -0700
Ian Breyer wrote:
A month or so ago I purchased one of those aftermarket valve covers
from Moss. It leaks oil through the pinhole in the oil filler cover. They
told me this is because I have too much oil pressure. I don t really buy it.
Why is the hole there anyway? The stock valve cover didn't have one.
Furthermore I would think the oil would rather go out through the hole for
the emission systems anyway. A friend of mine put a rivet through the hole
in his Spitfire oil filler to close it up. Would anyone recommend I do the
same?.....

Ian,
If your aftermarket valve cover cap is like mine, there is a corresponding
hole on the underside of the cap.  I used a dab of metal-filled epoxy to
seal it up and cured the leaks.  Some might say to use solder, but I was
afraid that the heat would damage the gasket in the cap.  The epoxy has held
up fine for the past 15 years (be sure and clean all the oil off before you
apply it).  The advantage of sealing up the hole on the underside of the cap
is that nothing unsightly is seen when the cap is in place.

Ian Breyer wrote:
What does everyone think of DOT 5 brake fluid?......

Ian,

This is one of the great raging debates on this newgroup.  Some hate it,
some love it.  I used it for years when my TR6 was a street-only vehicle.
Never had a problem with it.  Now that I do track events, I've switched to a
proper racing brake fluid.

Hope this helps,

Hugh Barber
Hollister, CA