Re: thrust washers

To: Jim Jones <jimjcmo@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: thrust washers
From: "Robert M. Lang" <lang@isis.mit.edu>
Date: Mon, 28 Jun 2004 14:42:18 -0400 (EDT)
On Mon, 28 Jun 2004, Jim Jones wrote:

> It's me again. Now I'm asking about thrust washers.
>

> I have some suspicion they will need replacement soon and since I plan
> to replace the oil pan gasket I figure this is the time to do it.

It's easier to do with the pan off. A LOT easier. :-)

Why do you need to change the pan gasket??

> How do know what size of washer to use?

You need to see what's in there first. But if the motor has never been
apart, it's safe to assume STD. If you want to cover all angles, get one
STD and one .010 kit (there are two in each kit). Then you can mix/match
if there is wear to the crank thrust surface.

Note: the purpose of the bearing is to take the wear (instead of the crank
wearing), so what's in there is probably worn to some extent. That being
the case, installing the new thrust washers of the same size will get you
back within spec.

> Jim

regards,
rml
Voice:617-253-7438    FAX: 617-258-9535        |