Re: thrust washers

To: Jim Jones <jimjcmo@yahoo.com>, 6pack <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: thrust washers
From: <trinitygadget@alltel.net>
Date: Mon, 28 Jun 2004 13:21:44 -0500
It's easy Jim.  The best way to go would be to use the original TWs as a gauge.
Measure the crank end play by any method that's convenient for you. I setup a
dial gauage point on the crank pulley; others drop the sump and use a web as a
base. Lever the pulley back to rear of the car, zero the dial, and then floor
the clutch pedal. Note the reading.  If it's over 0.006", you should replace
the rear TW.

For example:  If your measured end play is 0.015" and you ultimately want and
end play of 0.006", then add 0.009" to the thickness of the rear TW (you'll
have to remove the rear TW and mic it).  If, for example, your current rear TW
is 0.090" thick, then you'll want a TW that is 0.090 + 0.009 = 0.099" thick to
make up the difference.  Don't bother messing with the front TW as it does not
wear appreciably.

I replaced my TW this winter with a bronze alloy material cut to my custom
thickness. If interested, I can send info on the supplier.

Cheers.

Rick O.