The Seats Have to COME OUT?

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: The Seats Have to COME OUT?
From: ShewFamily@aol.com
Date: Mon, 27 Oct 2003 13:30:06 -0500
Scott,
I have owned my '74 TR6 for about 4 years now.  Right after I purchased it, I
replaced the non-OD transmission with an overdrive unit.  Naturally, when doing
this, I also replaced the clutch, pressure plate, throw-out bearing and
re-worked the clutch mechanism.  Naturally, the transmission began leaking
about 3 months laster and I had to remove it again and take it back to the shop
to get that fixed.  It was a pain, but I got some things in return that made me
happy, so it wasn't so bad after all.  So the transmission has been in and out
twice.

This past year after a collision, I decided to do the paint work right and
decided to pull the engine and transmission so that I could paint the engine
compartment.  I pulled the engine with the transmission attached and found that
to be extremely difficult.  So much so that I decided to reinstall the engine
and bring the transmission back through the interior as the Bently manual
directs.

While this sounds like a lot of extra effort, from my experience, I would
remove the tunnel and pull the tranny and then pull the engine and reverse the
order when reinstalling.  In my opinion, even with removing the interior, it is
a lot easier.

As far as the tunnel, you can purchase the plastic replacement tunnels that
come with gaskets.  I glued the gaskets in place to the car and removing the
tunnel is 17 bolts, but in my opinion it makes the process much easier.  I am
not sure that you could guide the engine and transmission into the car without
access through the tunnel even if you decided to re-install the two as a unit.
John Shewmake
'74 TR6
Chattanooga, TN