fan belt

To: <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: fan belt
From: "Scot Montrey" <SMontrey@nam.org>
Date: Wed, 1 Oct 2003 10:11:27 -0400
Hello listers - this is embarrassing to ask, but I'm stumped.  I need to
replace my water pump/alternator belt on my 74 TR6 with a '69 motor, and
it seems to be impossible to get it around the crankshaft pulley because
both a frame crossmember and part of the steering rack are so close to
the pulley that there's no room to squeeze the belt through the gap
(it's about 1/8").  Am I missing something?  My British Leyland shop
manual's directions simply "remove belt and replace."

Is it possible this can be done from underneath?  I think I can unbolt
the crossmember but I am loathe to mess with the steering...

Thanks in advance - Scot Montrey - smontrey@nam.org