Dizzy squealing?

To: <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: Dizzy squealing?
From: "Ken Owens" <kenowens@mchsi.com>
Date: Thu, 11 Sep 2003 22:04:10 -0400
List,

Thanks to all on the list for helping me with my engine rebuild questions and
a special thanks to Jim Davis who is also on this list. Jim bought his
instuments over one evening and corrected the timing problem I had, thus
allowing the engine to crank.  The car now runs fine but I have a mysterious
squealing sound coming from the area of the distributor.  High pitch squeal
that on revving the engine decreases in volume, yet returns when the engine
rpm's decrease back to idle.  Very annoying and I am concerned that something
major could be amiss causing damage.  Anyone care to speculate what the noise
could be?  I used a stethoscope but could not find the source.  Fuel pump
(mechanical), coil?  I disconnected the fan belt, so, I know it is not the
alternator or water pump.  Only other glitch is an exhaust leak at the header.
Speaking of headers mine (came with car) seem to be a weak link at this point
as they are ill fitting and do not match the head very well.  Which brand are
others using and are you pleased with them.

Ken Owens
71 TR6
(Still riding sans hood and transmission cover,  but, loving every minute of
it)