Charging problem...

To: 6pack <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: Charging problem...
From: Josh Tarnow <jjtarnow@yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 1 Sep 2003 09:16:32 -0700 (PDT)
Listers,
I went out to start my '76 TR6 and it cranked fairly slowly but did turn over.
When I went to start it again later on..nothing..not even a click. After
jumping it and driving it around for a while it started again with no problem.
Then, the next day after the car started without a problem I noticed the needle
was off the charts on the dash charge meter...it was pinned all the way through
the red zone on the gage. Does it sound like a faulty voltage regulator? If so,
is it somewhat easy to replace? I have a Lucas alternator (not sure which model
but my TR6 is a June '76 production if that helps). I checked Bentley and
Haynes as well as Buckeye but no real discussion regarding what I should do to
diagnose and/or repair the problem. Any and all assistance would be greatly
appreciated.