dip stick tube position

To: 6pack <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: dip stick tube position
From: doug shook <dirtbeard@pacbell.net>
Date: Thu, 17 Jul 2003 18:29:27 -0700
Hi 6packers,

I getting ready to reinstall the dipstick tube,
and I see there is no flange/lip in the block to
locate it at the correct depth.

There appears to be a small ridge about .81" from
the bottom of the tube that might be the
positioning mark, or it might just be left from
the last time it was driven into the hole in the
block.  Does anybody know the measurements or
proper positioning technique for the tube?

I guess I could leave it out until I fill the
engine with correct amount of oil, and then drive
it until a depth where it shows full on the dipstick.

One problem with this, though, is that I also am
changing to a screw-on oil filter adapter, so the
Triumph specs for quarts of oil when full may be
off a bit.

I probably am getting anal about this, but by
mis-positioning the tube by 1/8" or 3/16" could
result in running it significantly low or high on oil.

Anyone care to measure their oil tube to show how
far from the block to the tube opening?  This
measurement ought to give us a pretty accurate
idea of how far I need to drive the tube into the
block.

Thanks and sorry for all the questions...

Totally unrelated question -- anybody have any
experience with Good's three Stromberg intake
manifold? I tried to check the archives, but the
search engine would not work for me today.

old dirtbeard

los angeles

'72 BSA B50SS
'74 Triumph TR6