Purpose of Float Chamber Vent Port?

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: Purpose of Float Chamber Vent Port?
From: William Maslin <cwrm4@yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 16 Jul 2003 08:41:06 -0700 (PDT)
Does anyone on the list know what the function of the
Float Chamber Vent Port Plunger is on the later
Stromberg carbs? It is activated by an "L" shaped cam
by the throttle shaft.

There is no mention of it in any of the manuals I
have. Nelson Riedel briefly mentions it in his text on
carb rebuilds but doesn't really offer an explanation
as to why it is there or how you should really adjust
it.

I have had a problem where I would "run-out" of idle
adjustment and could only get the car down to about
1000 rpm with the vacuum retard disconnected and the
timing at 12 BTDC. I've checked exhaustively for
vacuum leaks etc but could never find anything wrong.

Then this weekend I noticed the set screw for the
float chamber vent port plunger was holding the
throttle plate slightly open at idle. I backed out the
set screws on each carb and viola! now I have plenty
of "screw" for idle adjustment. (the set screws were
marred up badly so some PO must have "tweaked" them in
the past")

With no vacuum retard, idle timing at 12 BTDC, and
idle set at 850 rpm car is running fantastic now with
no overheating, even in the Houston summer traffic.
Finally!

But still I wonder what the function is of the vent
port? Nelson talks about sucking on the float chamber
vent tube and adjusting the set screw until it just
seals off at idle. I would think this setting would be
counter to the function of the anti-run-on valve? Just
curious...(my anti-run-on valve is disconnected
anyway).

Thanks,

William
'74 TR6