Re: Second Attempt - Residual Pressure Valve

To: "Cris Hemingway" <cris_tr6@hotmail.com>, 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Second Attempt - Residual Pressure Valve
From: Irv Korey <emanteno@attglobal.net>
Date: Tue, 01 Jul 2003 20:25:55 -0500
At 08:05 AM 7/1/03 -0700, Cris Hemingway wrote:

>I slalom race (autocross) my car regularly, and find that after taking
>tight turns, I have to snub the brakes to get back adequate pedal.  The
>brake system hydraulics are all in good shape with a new m/c and no
>problems with the rotors or calipers.  Brakes work very well under normal
>conditions, and rear brakes are kept adjusted so they can't contribute to
>this problem.
>
>Has anyone on the list installed a residual pressure valve in their front
>brake hydraulic circuit to  help keep the pads from floating off the
>calipers in hard turns?  If so, I'd appreciate some info on what was used
>and the results achieved.
>

>Car is a '76 with stock calipers, rotors, and master cylinder

This topic has been the subject of many discussions elsewhere. The
consensus is that the brake pad knock back can be minimized by attention to
all of the following:

wheel bearings in excellent condition, adjusted properly,
stiffened and/or reinforced front hubs (many racers use aftermarket
aluminum front hubs for this reason),
brake rotors with very very little or zero wear,
brake pads in excellent condition, with even wear (Note that Kas Kastner
told us once that he used to "true" or even out the brake pads if he was
going to re-use them),
and yes, the residual pressure valve helps some, make sure you use a low
pressure valve.

HTH,

Irv Korey
74 TR6 CF22767U