Re: Stupid is as Stupid Does

To: ShewFamily@aol.com
Subject: Re: Stupid is as Stupid Does
From: Jay Welch <jay_welch@juno.com>
Date: Tue, 1 Jul 2003 17:17:09 GMT
Hi John,

>From the Pertronix site:

Q.  What will happen if I leave the ignition switch on when the engine is not
running?

A.  Leaving the ignition switch on when the engine is not running, can cause
permanent damage to the ignition system, and related components. This does not
apply to the accessory position of the ignition switch.

Jay

--- ShewFamily@aol.com wrote:

List,
In the process of working to get my car back on the road by this Friday, I did
something stupid.  I placed the ignition switch in the on position to check the
wiring for my overdrive.  However, I forgot that I had left the switch in the
on position for about an hour.  Up until Sunday afternoon, the engine would
crank and run great.  I tried cranking it last night and it will try to hit,
but it will never catch and run.  My car has the Pertronix unit.

My question is did I burn up my coil or damage the Pertronix unit?  I am going
to purchase a cheap coil today, but thought I would rise above the
embarrassment of my stupidity and ask the List to get your advice and
experience.
John Shewmake
'74 TR6
Chattanooga, TN