Tires: 215/70 v. 205/70? (replacing bad Cokers)

To: 6pack-digest@autox.team.net
Subject: Tires: 215/70 v. 205/70? (replacing bad Cokers)
From: William Maslin <cwrm4@yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 23 Jun 2003 07:48:40 -0700 (PDT)
My TR6 has a set of Coker 195/75 radial redlines,
installed 6 years ago by the PO. Despite having less
than 5000 miles on them, the front left tire sidewall
split open during a recent drive. Fortunately it
happened while turning into my driveway at 5 mph -- 5
minutes before I was driving fairly aggressively at
70+.

Upon closer inspection I noticed every tire has a
concentric crack mid way between the redline and the
tread. Coker has agreed to replace them; however, for
piece of mind and better performance I think I'll take
everyone's earlier advice and upgrade to "real" tires.

Searching in the archives, I saw Dick Taylor recommend
205/70's and Bob Lang recommend 215/70's. Egads! Whose
advice should I take? I realize the 205's are very
slightly smaller in dia than stock, while the 215's
are about 1% bigger.

Are 215's "pushing it" for the stock wheel width, or
is there really not much difference with the 205's?
The price of either size is virtually the same.

Thanks,

William

P.S. Thanks to all who responded to my earlier post on
the TRF springs...still trying to determine if the
springs are too tall or if the brackets just need to
be swapped around differenly.

http://sbc.yahoo.com